Last Song Played
Houston's ONLY Classic Rock
On Air
No Program
Last Song Played
Houston's ONLY Classic Rock


Results 1 - 20 of 99 next >

Mom who drowned 2-year-old twin sons sentenced to two life terms

An Arizona mother with a history of mental illness who reportedly said she intentionally drowned her 2-year-old twin boys in 2015 because “nobody loved them and nobody loved her” has been sentenced to two lifetimes in prison.

According to KPNX, Mireya Alejandra Lopez, 24, who also attempted to drown their 3-year-old stepbrother but was prevented from doing so by family members, has been found guilty but mentally ill on two counts of first-degree murder and one count of attempted murder.

>> Watch her arraignment here

Judge Brad Astrowsky of Maricopa County Superior Court ordered that Lopez be taken to a mental hospital under the jurisdiction of a psychiatric review board.

NBC News reported in 2015 that “police and firefighters were called to a home in the Phoenix suburb of Avondale just before noon [that] Sunday, where they found the twin 2-year-old boys lying unresponsive on a bed.”

Attempts to revive the boys were not successful.

>> Read more trending news

“During the course of the police investigation, suspect Mireya Alejandra Lopez ... stated to police that she intentionally drowned both of her twin boys in the bathtub,” Avondale police said. “Mireya also stated to investigators that she also attempted to drown another child in the home, but she was stopped by family and this child did not suffer any injuries.”

Court records said Lopez told investigators that she took medication for depression, schizophrenia and psychosis. She also said she killed her kids because she didn’t want them to grow up with the same difficulties she’s had, the Arizona Republic reported.

– The Associated Press contributed to this report.

WATCH: Marine's son, 4, bursts into tears, hugs new stepmom during wedding vows

Better get out those tissues.

A heartwarming viral video shows the moment that a Marine's 4-year-old son burst into tears and hugged his new stepmother Saturday during a wedding tribute to the boy. 

>> Watch the video here

According to WPVI, Marine Sgt. Joshua Newville's son, Gage, became emotional during his father's wedding to Senior Airman Emily Leehan in Ripley, New York.

"I want you to be safe and to try your hardest and to be a good person," Leehan said while delivering special vows she had written for the boy.

>> Need something to lift your spirits? Read more uplifting news

As the boy began to tear up, Leehan told Gage, "Don't cry," before he rushed into her arms, sobbing.

"I know that you and I will butt heads – except for right now," she continued, her voice breaking as Newville comforted his son. "But I hope, with all my heart, that as you become a grown man, you will understand my methods and realize I've only done what is best for you and that I love you."

>> Read more trending news

She added: "The last thing that I hope you learn is that you are a very special boy. You are so extremely smart, handsome and kind to others. You have helped make me into the woman I am today, and I may not have given you the gift of life, but life surely gave me the gift of you."

Read more here.

WATCH: Michael Phelps races great white shark ... sort of

Michael Phelps may be fast, but apparently not as fast as a great white shark.

>> Read more trending news

In Discovery's highly anticipated Shark Week special "Phelps vs Shark: Great Gold vs Great White," the 28-time Olympic medalist wore a special wetsuit and monofin to take on a great white – well, sort of – in a 100-meter race.

>> Watch the clip here

Unfortunately for fans, Phelps, with a time of 38.1 seconds, lost by 2 seconds. But that wasn't the biggest disappointment: Instead of facing a real shark, Phelps was shown alongside a computer simulation of a great white. The shark's "time" in the race was based on speed data collected by scientists.

Fans were not amused.

For sale: ‘Scariest’ lodging in America, iconic Clown Motel

The lobby is stuffed with clowns of all sorts. Like a scene from a circus, they are seemingly everywhere, even above the beds in each clown-themed room.

After all, it is “The Clown Motel.”

The iconic, albeit frightening to coulrophobes, lodging is up for sale, after 22 years owning it, Bob Perchetti is ready to sing a sad clown song and retire from the hospitality industry.

"It became a way of life with me," Perchetti told KLAS. "It's funny you get attached to something. I haven't gone so far as to start talking to them."

>> Read more trending news

The motel gained notoriety from its theme eerily coupled with its proximity to the historic mining town of Tonopah’s cemetery.

“As you know, it’s called the scariest motel in the U.S.,” Perchetti told KLAS.

Perchetti and his late business partner decided on the clown theme. They brought in most of the props from his home.

“He had a house full of clowns, and he decided to bring the clowns up and put them to work,” Perchetti said.

He is hoping to sell the motel, clowns included, for $900,000.

“Oh, I’m going to miss the clowns,” Perchetti said. “I’m going to come back. I’m going to come back and visit my clowns.”

What will Perchetti do once someone else is there to look after the clowns?

"I'm going to go fishing. I want to go enjoy myself," Perchetti told KLAS. "I'm going to do a little camping with the grandkids."

Bielski brother partisan celebrates 90th birthday

In his early years, Aron Bell of Palm Beach helped his brothers save more than 1,200 Jews escaping Nazis during World War II. Now, he gathers with friends and family to celebrate his 90th birthday.

The story of the Bielski brothers has been translated into books, documentaries and a Hollywood film, “Defiance.” For three years, Aron and his older brothers, Tuvia, Zus and Asael, hid Jews in a forest near their Belarus village after their parents and two brothers were killed.

>> Read more trending news

But this weekend the story was Bell (born Aron Bielski). More than 100 people joined the Bells at the New Synagogue of Palm Beach for a morning Shabbat service followed by a kiddush lunch.

Guests traveled from New York, Boston and other parts of the country to wish Bell a happy birthday. Some of those included his daughter Susan Bell Abrams and nephew Baruch Bielski. They were encouraged to make a donation to the A H Bielski Foundation instead of bringing a gift. The foundation works with pantries in the U.S., Tibet and Israel to help children in need.

Fisherman hooks great white from California pier

A fisherman in California did not need a bigger rod and reel when he hooked a nearly 12-foot great white shark from a pier Sunday.

>> Read more trending news

Once he identified it as a white shark, which is protected, the fisherman cut it loose, according to KEYT.

Video showed spectators and other fishermen congregate as the shark thrashed nearby, according to KEYT.

Bush’s recalls beans over defective cans

Bush Brothers and Company is voluntarily recalling certain varieties of beans because of defective cans that can leak or allow harmful bacteria to grow.

>> Read more trending news

Bush’s Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Country Style Baked Beans and Original Baked Beans in 28-ounce cans were recalled after an internal quality control check uncovered the issue.

“We urge you to dispose of these affected products immediately even if the beans do not look or smell spoiled,” the company said in a news release.

There have been no reports of illness or adverse reactions.

Chained dog dies trying to reach shade

A 23-year-old South Carolina man has been arrested on animal cruelty charges after a chained dog wearing a belt as a collar choked to death trying to crawl to shade in his yard.

Keon Torrence Gladden, of Great Falls, has been charged with one count of ill treatment of animals.

A concerned neighbor called police to Gladden’s Walnut Street home on July 10 and added that he’d checked on the blue pit bull before and believed it was being abused, according to The Island Packet.

>> Read more trending news

In the most recent call, the neighbor said the dog was dead. The animal’s body was “bloating and covered in flies and maggots,” according to the Bluffton newspaper and a police report.

While there was a doghouse for the animal to lay in, the dog’s chain was too short to reach the shelter. The dog’s carcass was near food and water bowls, both described as “dry and dusty” in the state’s July heat.

Accuweather says the town saw highs in the low 90s for most of the month.

If convicted, South Carolina law says that Gladden could see 90 days in prison, a fine between $100 and $1000 or both.

Boy, 7, stumbles onto prehistoric shark tooth find at beach

A 7-year-old boy who was vacationing in North Myrtle Beach with his family stumbled upon a prehistoric find -- a megalodon shark tooth.

The extinct megalodon (“giant tooth”) is the largest shark known to history. Foster Frazier's find was 5 inches long.

>> Read more trending news

“His father, myself and his younger brother were downstream from him at the time and heard him yelling what he’d found and saw him holding it up. We were speechless,” Tina Frazier told the Sun News in Myrtle Beach. “We didn’t pay much attention, because we were downstream a bit and it looked like (Foster) was just holding a large sand-covered rock. However, as he reached down to wash it off, we realized he’d definitely found a treasure.”

“He was knocking sand off the sides of the stream when he said it was sticking out of the side of the bank. To say he was excited is an understatement, ” she added.

Below is an image for reference on the difference between a megalodon tooth and a Great White tooth.

The tooth is said to be millions of years old.

For Foster, the tooth find seems to be a dream come true. The boy is a shark enthusiast.

“Foster has always loved sharks. Every book he reads is about sharks, every shirt he wears has a shark in it and he has always told us he was going to find a megalodon tooth one day,” his mom said. “We have always told him that he’d have to get older and scuba dive to find a tooth like that, however, he said God would help him know where to look, and he must have been right.”

Although a rare occurrence whenever it happens, another tooth washed up in Myrtle Beach in October because of Hurricane Matthew. That tooth was also 5 inches long.

Plane carrying comedian Sinbad diverts after plane hits birds

A jetliner carrying the comedian Sinbad had to divert its flight Saturday after it struck several birds during takeoff in Jacksonville.

In a tweet from his official account, David Adkins, better known as Sinbad, said the Delta plane hit a dozen birds and had to return to the airport.

>> Read more trending news

The comedian had performed a show Friday night at the Florida Theater and was traveling to Mississippi before the bird strike caused the forced landing. 

The comedian said the birds that hit the plane were turkey vultures. 

The Jacksonville International Airport said it happened at about 3,000 feet in the air "a little ways out" from the airport. The plane returned to the airport, an airport spokesperson said.

The airport said there may have been some damage to the plane's fan blades but its engine never lost power. The airport could not confirm whether the plane was taken out of service.

Sinbad said a storm in Jacksonville further delayed the flight's takeoff time when he tried to board a new flight. 

No one was hurt during the incident. 

Sinbad is known for his role in the Bill Cosby-spinoff in "A Different World" and starring in "The Sinbad Show."

Couple find class ring missing 46 years on beach

A Georgia couple can't wait to return a ring that had been lost for 46 years before they found it on a beach.

>> Read more trending news

Jaeson Smithposted a photo on Facebook of a high school class ring that his wife had found this week while walking along the shore of Jekyll Island.

The ring is a 1969 Glynn Academy high school ring with the initials "KWW" in it.

The couple took the ring and after searching through an alumni page, the couple learned the ring belonged to Kenneth Williams, who was marked as deceased. 

The couple then found Williams' online obituary in the Brunswick News' archives to find out that he died in 2009.

The Smiths were able to find and contact Williams' son, Daniel Williams, on Facebook.

Daniel lives in Phenix City, Alabama, and his mother told him that in 1971 his father and her were swimming at a beach near Jekyll Island when his father lost his ring. 

Daniel called Action News Jax after reading the story Saturday and is excited for the return of his father's ring. 

The Smiths said they plan to return the ring to its rightful owners next week.

Famous Florida manatee, Snooty, oldest on record, killed in freak aquarium ‘accident’ 

The world’s oldest-known living manatee, Snooty, died Sunday in a freak accident at the South Florida Museum in Bradenton.

>> Read more trending news

The 69-year-old manatee was killed in a “heartbreaking accident,” museum officials said.


Snooty got into an underwater area only used to access plumbing for the exhibit’s life support system. An access panel somehow was knocked loose and the manatee got inside, the museum said on its website

“Our initial investigation indicates that Snooty’s death was a heartbreaking accident and we’re all quite devastated about his passing,” Brynne Anne Besio, the Museum’s CEO, wrote in a release. “We’re reviewing what happened and will be conducting a full investigation into the circumstances.”

>> Related: Baby manatee, mother rescued after being stranded by Hurricane Hermine

The other manatees that were in the same area as Snooty are all unharmed. 

Snooty was the first recorded birth of a manatee in human care and moved to Bradenton in 1949. In 1979, he became Manatee County’s official mascot. 

A necropsy, or animal autopsy, will be performed at the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission’s Marine Mammal Pathobiology Laboratory in St. Petersburg.

Baptist pastor charged in prostitution sting, resigns from Texas church

A Texas pastor was arrested after deputies said he paid $80 to an undercover sheriff’s deputy for sexual activities. 

>> Read more trending news

Eddie Hilburn, of the Woodland First Baptist Church in Montgomery County, Texas, was arrested Wednesday and charged with prostitution, according to KTRK

“I can tell you now that Eddie has resigned and his resignation has been accepted. Please pray for Eddie, Lisa and his family. We are committed to helping them all move forward in the best way possible,” the church said on its Facebook page

The church’s website said Hillburn, 52, joined their organization in 2012, but the information has since been removed. 

>> Related: Woman chokes pit bull, abuses other dog, police say

Read more here.

Cheerleader buried baby in backyard, Ohio prosecutor says

An infant whose remains were found buried in an Ohio backyard last week died more than two months ago, but was alive at birth, not stillborn, court records and prosecutors revealed Friday.

>> Read more trending news

Brooke Skylar Richardson, an 18-year-old mother now charged with reckless homicide, spent just over two minutes in a Warren County courtroom Friday.

Warren County Prosecutor David Fornshell said the charge “is based upon evidence that the infant whose remains were discovered at the defendant’s residence in Carlisle one week ago today (Friday) was born alive and was not a stillborn baby.”

“Law enforcement is continuing to treat this as an active and ongoing investigation.”

Richardson was whisked in by her parents into Franklin Municipal Court just as the Friday afternoon session began. Moments after they were seated, her case was called before Judge Rupert Ruppert.

>> Related: Carlisle mom, 18, arrested, charged in Warren County baby remains case

The arraignment was just as quick. Ruppert continued her $15,000 bond and set an Aug. 1 preliminary hearing date, and Richardson was then quickly led out of the courtroom by attorney Charles M. Rittgers of Lebanon. A not guilty plea had already been made for her.

Read more here.

McDonald’s unveils new pay, delivery options

McDonald’s will begin offering customers a new way to pay for their Big Mac and fries, and a new way to get its popular fast food.

>> Read more trending news

Last week the company unveiled a plan to begin taking orders and payment by mobile phone through its app and announced a new curbside pick-up program.

Customers will be able to place an order and pay through their mobile phone and pick-up their orders at the drive thru or through curbside delivery.

Restaurant officials said the new options are expected to be available at all U.S. locations by the end of the year and at thousands of other McDonald’s around the world, according to the Chicago Tribune.

The fast food chain is also expanding its delivery services, testing out a new program through UberEats in Florida. It already uses other third parties for deliveries in some markets, the Tribune reported.

Hoda Kotb posts new pics of new daughter, cutest photos yet

On Friday, Hoda Kotb shared another adorable picture of her new daughter, Haley Joy, whom she calls her “everything” in the caption on Instagram.

>> Read more trending news

In the picture, Hayley smiles right at the camera with her big, brown eyes shining and sporting some thick, growing hair. Kotb has been keeping fans updated on Haley’s growth ever since announcing her adoption early this year, posting cute photos of her daughter’s sweetest moments.

“Life flies by,” she said on becoming a mom and on celebrating her recent four year anniversary with boyfriend Joel.

>> Related: Hoda Kotb reveals how she kept her adoption a secret

“It’s so funny because you spend so much of your life wondering, ‘When is it going to happen?’ If ever. Sometimes in my life, I thought it was already happening—like the most that could ever happen was happening. I was happy and grateful, and then this happened. It just reminded me that work is work, and life is life.”

Woman found guilty again of trying to kill husband, sentenced to 16 years in prison 

A Florida woman has been convicted for the second time in a 2009 plot to kill her husband.

Dalia Dippolito, 34, will spend the next 16 years of her life in prison.

 >> Read more trending news

With his sentence, Palm Beach County Circuit Judge Glenn Kelley denied prosecutors’ request to exceed the 20-year sentence that Circuit Judge Jeffrey Colbath previously gave Dippolito in 2011 and rejected defense attorneys’ request for a sentence below the four-year minimum recommended sentence.

Kelley said he considered two mitigating factors seriously: Dippolito’s lack of prior criminal record and the time she spent on house arrest. He noted her 20-year sentence in 2011 was actually an 18-year sentence because Colbath gave her credit then for house arrest.

>> Related: Nicole Brown Simpson’s ex-boyfriend: ‘I felt so guilty, that he had beaten her because of me

So Kelley sentenced her to 16 years in prison, giving her credit for half the eight years she has spent on house arrest.

The sentence came at the end of a four-hour, sometimes emotional, sometimes grueling hearing in the case, which garnered international headlines eight years ago when a video of Dippolito crying at a staged crime scene went viral.

The only witness testimony came from Michael Dippolito, who had heard evidence in his now ex-wife’s plot but listened for the first time in a courtroom Friday as prosecutors read text messages and played videos of her plotting his demise.

>> Related: Jury takes just 90 minutes to convict Dippolito of murder solicitation

“It’s not even real,” Michael Dippolito told Kelley. “It’s like I can’t even believe we’re

still sitting here like this girl didn’t even try to do this.”

Read more here.

Princes William, Harry on their sorrow over last ‘rushed’ call with Diana 

Princes William and Harry are talking about the last, rushed phone call they had with their mother, Princess Diana, before her untimely death in a car crash in Paris in 1997.

Their painful reflections are part of a new ITV documentary called “Diana, Our Mother: Her Life and Legacy,” airing on Monday, July 24. The program comes as the 20th anniversary of the death of the Princess of Wales approaches on Aug. 31, and celebrates her life and charitable works, according to ITV.

>> Read more trending news

The princes opened up to the filmmakers about the last time they spoke to Diana from the Queen’s estate in Balmoral, Scotland. The brothers, William 15, at the time, and Harry, just 12, remembered that they were playing with their cousins at the time Diana phoned. 

Both William and Harry said they have regrets about that final call to this day.

“Harry and I were in a desperate rush to say goodbye, you know ‘see you later.’ … If I’d known now, obviously, what was going to happen I wouldn’t have been so blasé about it and everything else,” William said in the documentary while he and Harry were looking through a photo album. “But that phone call sticks in my mind quite heavily.”

Harry echoed his brother.

“Looking back on it now, it’s incredibly hard. I’ll have to sort of deal with that for the rest of my life,” Harry said. “Not knowing that was the last time I was going to speak to my mum; how differently that conversation would have panned out if I’d had even the slightest inkling her life was going to be taken that night.”

>> Related: Prince William, Harry to rededicate Princess Diana’s grave on her birthday

“I can’t necessarily remember what I said, but all I do remember is probably regretting for the rest of my life how short the phone call was,” Harry said.

The brothers also talked about how much fun their mother was.

“She was very informal and really enjoyed laughter and the fun,” William said.

“She was one of the naughtiest parents,” Harry added.

Prince William and Harry said they are talking candidly about their mother publicly for the first time to help honor her memory and the good works she was known for, including her work with AIDS victims and her activism against land mines. But Prince William said he doesn’t expect to discuss his mother again in such an open way after the events surrounding the 20th anniversary of her death. 

 The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Man accused of killing father, leaving corpse on couch for weeks

Tyler Swantek, 24, was already in custody on drug charges when police tacked on a first-degree murder charge.

Police said he killed his father, Todd Swantek, and left the corpse on the couch for weeks. The Standard-Speaker reported that Swantek allegedly shot his father in the head with a rifle.

>> Read more trending news

Police reportedly were called to the scene in Frackville, Pennsylvania, in late May by a friend of Todd Swantek’s, who had not heard from the father for a month. When police entered the house, they found a gruesome scene: The badly decomposed body was on the couch, covered in blankets and a sleeping bag, the Standard-Speaker reported. Police said they searched the house and found the rifle, which they believe to be the murder weapon, in Tyler Swantek’s bedroom.

There were a number of candles and air fresheners in the house, apparently put out in an attempt to mask the smell, the Standard-Speaker reported. Police said that when they interviewed Tyler Swantek about his father’s death, he showed no emotion. An autopsy report suggested that the body may have been on the couch for months before it was discovered. Swantek appeared in court where he asked for reduced bail for drug charges, but the judge didn’t agree to the deal. The judge reportedly said, “He’s a danger to himself and society.”

Read more here.

Sean Spicer swiped mini-fridge from junior White House staff, report claims

It's no surprise that White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer's resignation made headlines Friday, but one puzzling story about the beleaguered staffer has left social-media users scratching their heads.

>> Sean Spicer resigns, Sarah Huckabee Sanders named next White House press secretary

According to an anecdote that topped a Wall Street Journal article, early into Spicer's tenure, he swiped a mini-fridge from junior White House staff members.

>> Read more trending news

"Less than a month into his new job, White House press secretary Sean Spicer needed to keep his food and drink cold. He wanted a mini-fridge," wrote reporter Michael C. Bender.

>> Sean Spicer resigns: A look at his 6 months as White House press secretary

"He dispatched a top aide to a nearby executive office building where junior research employees are crammed into a room, surviving on Lean Cuisine frozen lunches," the report continued. "Mr. Spicer wants your icebox, the aide said, according to people familiar with the incident. They refused to give it up."

>> Who is Anthony Scaramucci, the new White House communications director?

But that wasn't the end of it, according to Bender, who wrote that a "fellow White House official" later saw Spicer "lugging the icebox down the White House driveway after 8 p.m."

Naturally, Twitter had a field day.

>> Click here or scroll down to see what people were saying

Results 1 - 20 of 99 next >

HoustonsEagle Instagram