Last Song Played
Houston's ONLY Classic Rock
On Air
No Program
Last Song Played
Houston's ONLY Classic Rock

Irresistible News

Results 1 - 20 of 47 next >

Prince Louis' christening portraits revealed: Kate Middleton, royal family stun in new photos

Update 8:08 a.m. EDT July 17: The British royal family has released an additional photo from the christening of Prince Louis, the youngest son of Prince William and Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge.

“The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge hope that everyone enjoys this lovely photograph of Prince Louis as much as they do,” Kensington Palace tweeted Monday.

>> See the photo here

Matt Porteous, who took the photo, also shared the image on Instagram.

“It was an honour and a privilege to photograph the christening of Prince Louis,” he wrote.

>> See the post here

Original report: The British royal family released four official portraits Sunday from the christening of Prince Louis, the youngest son of Prince William and Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge.

>> PHOTOS: Prince Louis christened

According to Kensington Palace, Matt Holyoak took the new photos last Monday at Clarence House after the 2-month-old prince was christened at Chapel Royal at St. James' Palace.

>> Prince Louis christened: Prince George, Princess Charlotte join royal family at ceremony

In the portraits, Catherine, formerly known as Kate Middleton, beams as she holds the newest royal. Prince William and children Prince George, 4, and Princess Charlotte, 3, also smile for the camera in three of the shots.

>> Read more trending news 

Other photos include Prince Charles and Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall; Prince Harry and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex; Kate's parents, Michael and Carole Middleton; her brother, James Middleton; her sister, Pippa Middleton, who is pregnant; and Pippa's husband, James Matthews.

>> See the photos here

Man walks nearly 20 miles to get to job after car breaks down, boss gives him his own vehicle

A man in Alabama no longer has to walk where he needs to go. 

Walter Carr was all set to start a new job with Bellhops Moving, but his car broke down. Instead of calling off, or borrowing a set of wheels, he started walking, starting at midnight, to get to the job nearly 20 miles away, WBMA reported.

Pelham police officers saw him walking, offered him a ride and took him to breakfast before taking him to the moving job. 

Carr had been walking for about four hours when police offered him the ride, WIAT reported.

Jennifer Lamey hired Bellhops Moving, and Carr, and posted to Facebook about his dedication. His story made it all the way to the home office and the company’s CEO Luke Marklin.

>> Read more trending news 

Marklin made sure that his employee would not have to walk to work again and gave him the keys to his own car, a 2014 Ford Escape. 

Lamey also started a GoFundMe campaign in the name of Carr. She had hoped to raise $2,000, but in one day, raised more than four times that amount.

Bartender's heartwarming act of kindness for homeless man goes viral

A Tennessee bartender's generous act has gone viral.

>> Need something to lift your spirits? Read more uplifting news 

According to a Facebook post by Dawn Wilt, an unidentified homeless man recently walked into Huey's, a popular Memphis restaurant, with only $2.

>> Read more trending news 

He asked the bartender what he could get with such a small amount of money. The post said the bartender immediately said he could get a burger, even asking if he preferred onion rings or fries. 

>> Read the Facebook post here

The post has been shared more than 1,100 times. 

'RHONY's' Luann de Lesseps checks back into rehab

“Real Housewives of New York” star Luann de Lesseps has checked herself back into rehab.

People reported that de Lesseps had her ‘RHONY’ co-star Bethenny Frankel speak on her behalf, confirming the news. The 53-year-old was absent from the season 10 reunion taping for the Bravo reality show.

>> Read more trending news 

“This weekend, Luann was surrounded by her girlfriends and decided — with their support — that in light of recent circumstances, it is the healthiest choice for her not to attend Tuesday’s reunion taping so that she can continue in her healing process,” Frankel said in a statement to People. “Luann is now surrounded by a core group of people who truly have her best interests at heart and who are working to make sure she gets the help she needs.

“Bravo has been very supportive of Luann during this time. It’s a brave and honest decision by her, and everyone is rallying around her and wants the best for her,” Frankel said.

This is the second time in recent months that de Lesseps has sought treatment. In December, she checked into rehab after she was arrested in Palm Beach, Florida, Dec. 24. At the time, she was charged with disorderly intoxication and battery on a police officer.

Related: ‘Real Housewives’ star Luann de Lesseps released from jail, accused of kicking officer

Frankel said that part of the reason de Lesseps has entered rehab is to get back to her #CountessAndFriends cabaret show as soon as possible. She just finished several sold-out shows.

“Luann loves doing the cabaret,” Frankel said. “She’s taking the necessary steps to get better so that the show can go on.”

According to the cabaret show website, the next shows are Aug. 4 in Long Island, New York, and Aug. 24 in Atlantic City, New Jersey.

News of de Lesseps going back to rehab comes days after The Blast obtained court documents revealing her first husband, Alexandre de Lesseps, her daughter, Victoria de Lesseps, and son, Noel de Lesseps, filed a lawsuit against her. The suit claims de Lesseps breached a stipulation in her divorce settlement by selling their $8 million marital home and not putting the home in a trust for their children. 

“Recent additional family stress was a catalyst to her taking a break,” Frankel told People.

Bravo, for its part, issued a statement of support for its star.

“Bravo supports Luann’s decision to focus on her health,” the network said in a statement to People. “She is part of the Bravo family and we continue to stand by her as she copes with this challenging situation. At this time, we hope everyone will respect her privacy.”

Mattress Firm hiring ‘Snoozetern’ to test out mattresses, sleep, post to social media

Mattress Firm is hiring an intern, called a “Snoozetern” who will get paid to sleep.

The mattress retail chain announced the internship Thursday.

Responsibilities for the Snoozetern include testing out beds and doing written and video reviews for Mattress Firm’s social platforms and The intern will also create regular video content about their snoozetern experience on social media.

>> Read more trending news 

“We are excited to hire our first ever Snoozetern,” Scott Thaler, chief marketing officer, said in a statement. Thursday. “It’s not every day that an intern is hired to sleep on the job, but that’s just one of many perks.”

The paid internship is a 20-hour per week commitment from Aug. 15 to Nov. 15, but the intern’s specific hourly schedule will be determined based on availability during the week. The candidate must be 18 years old and “passionate about sleep and comfort,” eager to meet new people and talk to them about sleep, and interested in exposure to different sleep positions, textures and surfaces.

The internship will be at Mattress Firm’s Houston headquarters, but there will be opportunities to visit local stores.

“In addition to bed testing, the Snoozetern will use our in-house content studio and the latest social tools to build integrated content campaigns as our very own sleep-fluencer,” Thaler said. “These campaigns will be designed to give consumers a preview of our new products, answers to real-time questions, a sneak peek into our company culture at BEDQuarters and introductions to the employees that obsess over finding the right bed for you. The Snoozetern will give consumers behind-the-scenes access to only the dreamiest interviews and several surprising locations that you will have to see to believe.”

To apply, applicants have to make a 60-second-long video showing why they would be the best person for the job and upload it to YouTube, then send the URL and other information to Mattress Firm on its Snoozetern page.

Candidates should be creative and able to edit short videos with software like Animoto, iMovie, Adobe Spark or Final Cut Pro.

The top five candidates will be invited to an in-person interview in Houston and the top three candidates will have their video published on Instagram for the public to vote on.

After votes and other factors are considered, the Snoozetern will be notified by Aug. 10.

More information, including entry tips, is at

Bruce Willis says ‘Die Hard’ isn’t a Christmas movie

Despite an ongoing debate among fans, Bruce Willis says “Die Hard” is not a Christmas movie.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Willis made the declaration at the end of “The Comedy Central Roast of Bruce Willis,” in which comedians and past co-stars -- and his ex-wife, Demi Moore --  joked about the 63-year-old. Dennis Rodman was also at the roast, but his jokes reportedly bombed.

>> Read more trending news 

“’Die Hard’ is not a Christmas movie!” Willis said to close the roast, Variety reported. “It’s a (expletive) Bruce Willis movie!”

THR reported that Willis replied “We’ll see,” when he was asked about how some fans may receive the declaration.

Related: ‘Die Hard’ is a Christmas movie, screenwriter says

The 1988 action movie takes place on Christmas Eve, which has led many fans to claim the movie is a Christmas film. In 2017, one of the film’s screenwriters, Steven E. de Souza, appeared to suggest that “Die Hard” is a Christmas film. He responded in part on Twitter to a debate about the film with, “#DieHardIsAChristmasMovie.”

Willis’ Comedy Central roast airs on Comedy Central July 29 at 10 p.m.

Equipment malfunction leaves Taylor Swift stuck in basket during performance

An equipment malfunction, left Taylor Swift stuck in a basket during part of her performance Saturday night in Philadelphia.

Swift was in the middle of the song “Delicate” when the sparkling basket she was riding in got stuck mid-air at Lincoln Financial Field.

"I'm pretty sure I'm stuck up here," she said at one point to the crowd in videos posted to social media. "It's a nice view though."

She finished the song then she explained the technical difficulties to the crowd.

"So what you just saw was me going like straight up and down in this sparkly basket. It's supposed to take me to the other side of the stadium," she said. "So what happens now is basically I'm just chilling waiting to figure out what happens next."

As they waited, the pop star talked with the audience and started singing an acapella version of “Our Song.”

Eventually the stage crew was able to get her into a new basket and she continued the show.

World Cup final delayed by protesters; Russian punk band claims responsibility

Sunday’s World Cup final between France and Croatia was disrupted briefly Sunday when four people dressed in old-fashioned police uniforms ran onto the pitch, The Independent reported.

>> Read more trending news

The Russian activist punk band Pussy Riot claimed responsibility for the suspension of play at Luzhniki Stadium in Moscow, which occurred during the 52nd minute of Sunday’s match.

“News Flash! Just a few minutes ago four Pussy Riot members performed in the FIFA World Cup final match — ‘Policeman enters the Game,’” the band posted on its Twitter feed.

>> France cruises past Croatia in World Cup final

France was leading 2-1 when three women and a man charged onto the pitch, The Associated Press reported. The protesters were wrestled to the ground by police. Croatia defender Dejan Lovren pushed the male protester, which allowed police to subdue him, the AP reported.

The protesters were dressed in black pants and white shirts. They entered the pitch from behind the net guarded by French goalkeeper Hugo Lloris, The Independent reported. One of the women reached the center of the pitch and high-fived French forward Kylian Mbappe.

On Twitter, the group released a statement urging the Russian government to release political prisoners and to end “illegal arrests” of protesters.

>> Photos: 2018 World Cup final -- France vs. Croatia

Russian President Vladimir Putin was watching Sunday’s match at the stadium, along with French President Emmanuel Macron and FIFA President Gianni Infantino, according to the AP.

France cruises past Croatia 4-2 to win World Cup

France cruised to its first World Cup title in 20 years and its second soccer crown overall, dominating Croatia 4-2 in Sunday’s championship game in Moscow.

>> Read more trending news 

The French, winning the Cup for the first time since 1998, scored first and then outran the Croatian squad, the smallest country to play in a World Cup final since 1950, when Uruguay defeated Brazil 2-1 in Rio de Janeiro.

France opened the scoring in the 18th minute thanks to an own goal by Croatia. On a set piece after a free kick, Frances Antoine Griezmann kicked the ball toward the goal. The ball glanced off Croatia’s Mario Mandzukic and past goalkeeper Danijel Subasic.

Croatia tied the match 10 minutes later when Ivan Perisic rocketed a left-footed shot past Hugo Lloris.

France was awarded a penalty kick when Perisic handled the ball in the box. After a video review, referee Nestor Pitana in favor of the kick.

Griezmann buried his shot past Subasic to give France a 2-1 lead, which it took into the half.

>> Photos: 2018 World Cup final -- France vs. Croatia

France increased its lead to 3-1 in the second half, with Paul Pogba controlling his own rebound of a blocked shot and converting a left-footed shot in the 59th minute.

Six minutes later, Kylian Mbappe became the first teenager to score in a World Cup final since Brazil’s Pele did it in 1958. That gave the French a commanding 4-1 lead.

>> World Cup final delayed by protesters

Croatia cut the deficit to 4-2 in the 69th minute when Mandzukic sent a shot past Lloris.

T.I.'s attorney calls accusations against rapper 'baseless, ill-founded and unjustified'

An accusation of simple assault, public drunkenness and disorderly conduct was filed Friday against Atlanta rapper T.I. in Henry County State Court.

>> Read more trending news

The filing accused Clifford Harris Jr., also known as T.I., of making a verbal threat and acting “in a violent or tumultuous manner” toward security guard Euwan James at the Eagles Landing Country Club in Stockbridge May 16. The county solicitor general’s office filed the accusation.

The accusation also alleged Harris “was in an intoxicated condition in a public place, which condition made manifest by his boisterous conduct, profane language, an odor of an alcoholic beverage emitting from his person and by his own admission of alcohol consumption.”

In a statement emailed to, T.I.’s attorney, Steve Sadow, said:

“The misdemeanor charges brought against T.I. are baseless, ill-founded and unjustified. T.I. never threatened or acted in a violent manner towards Euwan James, the security guard. Indeed, we understand the security guard was fired for the way he handled the situation with T.I. We had sincerely hoped that the Henry County Solicitor had better, more important, things to do to serve the Henry County community than prosecute an African American over a verbal dispute during an encounter with a security guard who was asleep at his post and was unwilling to provide his name to T.I. so T.I. could report the guard’s misconduct to his employer.”

Harris was arrested after the altercation, which was prompted by his forgetting his keys, and James’ refusal to let him past the gate.

James said Harris started using profanity and yelled at him to open the gate, according to the Harris County police incident report from May 16. 

James eventually opened the gate and let Harris in, but Harris told police James wouldn’t give him his name or his supervisor’s name when asked. 

After T.I. parked his car at his home, he walked back to try to get James’ name, the report said. James said T.I. threatened him and said “come outside so we can deal with this man to man.”

At some point, T.I. called his friend, Marquinarius Holmes, 40, of Stockbridge, to join in, who was then arrested on outstanding charges out of Clayton County for not having proof of car insurance, the sheriff’s office told back in May. 

Harris was released from the Henry County Jail later that morning after posting $2,250 bond. He did not appear before a judge.

Sadow told in a phone interview that Friday’s accusation “is simply a document filed by the prosecutor alleging the charges. There is no grand jury or independent body that made the decision ... it doesn’t require anything more than crafting a piece of paper and signing it.”

Massachusetts man plays same lottery numbers 9 times -- and wins

A father of two from Brockton, Massachusetts has won $900,000 in the state’s Mass Cash drawing after playing the same lottery numbers nine times at nine different ticket locations.

>> Read more trending news 

Robert Lundstedt told the Bridgewater Independent that he has played the same five numbers -- 1-7-11-26-30 -- in the state lottery for the last 26 years.

He told Mass Cash that he felt lucky on Monday, so much so that he purchased nine different tickets with the same numbers -- each worth $100,000 each.

Before Monday night’s drawing, Lundstedt gave one ticket to his daughter, Kristen Lundstedt, and one ticket to his son, Brian Lundstedt.

According to the Massachusetts state lottery, Lundstedt didn’t realize he won Monday’s drawing until he stopped by the store to buy paper towels the next day.

The trio stopped by the lottery offices to pick up their prizes on July 11. 

The Lundstedt children each received $100,000 before taxes. They both told Mass Cash they plan to use the money to pay off their student loans.

Lundstedt, a carpenter, took home about $700,000 before taxes. 

He said he planned to use the money to pay off the mortgage on his home. 

Angelique Kerber defeats Serena Williams in Wimbledon final

German tennis star Angelique Kerber beat Serena Williams 6-3, 6-3 in the women’s final Saturday at Wimbledon, taking home her first championship title.

>> Read more trending news 

Williams, 36, fell short of her eighth Wimbledon trophy and a chance to score a record 24th Grand Slam title at Wimbledon.

The match between Kerber and Williams was stalled for over an hour Saturday, until after the men’s semifinal between Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal was completed.

Saturday’s tournament was Williams’ fourth appearance since she began her comeback after a 14-month hiatus. Williams came into the fortnight ranked No. 181 and was seeded 25th at Wimbledon because of her previous success at the event.

Williams’ victory would have made her the fourth mother ever to win a Grand Slam event.

Williams gave birth to her daughter Alexis Olympia in September 2017. She had to deal with a health scare after the emergency cesarean section when small blood clots were found on her lungs, CNN reported.

The last time Williams and Kerber met in a Grand Slam final was at Wimbledon in 2016. That year, Williams won her seventh major title on grass, 7-5, 6-3.

That was Williams’ second straight Wimbledon title, won in the early stages of her pregnancy. She sat out last year’s grass-court tournament after winning the Australian Open several months earlier.

Her first Grand Slam tournament was the French Open. Williams won three matches before withdrawing because of an injured chest muscle.

Missing Oregon woman whose Jeep plunged down Big Sur cliff found alive

A 23-year-old Oregon woman missing for more than a week was found Friday, injured but alive after her vehicle plunged nearly 200 feet down an oceanside cliff south of Big Sur, The Mercury News of San Jose reported.

>> Read more trending news 

Angela Hernandez of Portland was found by authorities after they responded to a report of a white 2011 Jeep Patriot with Oregon plates “over the cliff,” the Monterey County Sheriff’s Office said. She was flown by helicopter to a hospital, the Mercury News reported.

Two people walking in the area found the wrecked vehicle partially submerged and called 911, KGO reported.The sheriff’s office posted photos of the Jeep in a Facebook post.

Hernandez told police she used a radiator hose from the Jeep to siphon water from a stream nearby and stay hydrated, KGO reported.

Monterey County sheriff’s Cmdr. John Thornburg said Hernandez injured her shoulder,  but was alert and walking on a remote beach when she was found, KPIX reported.

Hernandez had been missing since July 6. Her last known whereabouts were in a parking lot in Half Moon Bay, The San Francisco Chronicle reported.

Hernandez’s last known whereabouts were in a parking lot behind a Safeway in Half Moon Bay. She texted her sister the morning of July 6 that she had slept there the night before and was getting back on the road, authorities said.

She was driving from Portland, Oregon, to Lancaster, California to visit her family, the Mercury News reported.

Her relatives told police they thought she was driving on a dangerous winding road south of Big Sur,  the Chronicle reported.

The San Mateo County Sheriff’s Office originally handled the case but handed it to the Monterey County Sheriff’s Office on Thursday, as surveillance video from a business showed Hernandez traveling into Monterey County, the Mercury News reported.

“I just want to thank everybody that helped,” Hernandez’s sister, Isabel Hernandez, told KGO.

The San Mateo County Sheriff’s Office originally handled the case but handed it to the Monterey County Sheriff’s Office on Thursday, as surveillance video from a business showed Hernandez traveling into Monterey County, the Mercury News reported.

“I just want to thank everybody that helped,” Hernandez’s sister, Isabel Hernandez, told KGO.

New wheelchair allows Massachusetts boy, 12, with cerebral palsy to enjoy beach

12-year-old Massachusetts boy with cerebral palsy got the red carpet treatment as he rolled up to the beach in a special kind of wheelchair.

>> Read more trending news 

Dave Foss and his son, Will, haven't been able to make the trip to the beach for years, even though they live just two miles away.

Will's cerebral palsy normally prevents him from enjoying the beach, with the rocky sand at Peggotty Beach creating a problem when Will uses his walker.

It's been a long time since he's been to the beach," Foss said. "We go to Florida, and he goes to the beach a little bit, but it's hard to carry him from the parking lot to the water."

Now, Will has a new wheelchair to use, made especially for beach use. With the help of his father, Will got to be like any other kid at the beach.

"It totally opens it up for everybody," Foss said. "It's hard as a parent of somebody who has special needs in so many ways, and just to have some normal activity that others are doing, and do it with them, is a great thing for a family."

Michelle Anne Murphy, the vice chair for Scituate's Commission of Disabilities, said the town now has two beach wheelchairs for its five public beaches.

"When you live here, on the South Shore, part of living here is living the life of the beaches and having fun," Murphy said. "Our whole role is to make Scituate more accessible and to advocate for those citizens and people that need help."

The biggest challenge now for the Foss family? Trying to get Will off of the beach, rather than on.

"I would have never been able to do that without this thing," Foss said. 

The beach wheelchair will stay at Peggotty Beach, but if anyone needs to use it at any beach, they can call the town and ask to reserve it.

Nancy Sinatra Sr., first wife of Frank Sinatra, dead at 101

Nancy Sinatra Sr., the first of entertainer Frank Sinatra’s four wives and mother of their three children, died Friday, according to The Hollywood Reporter. She was 101.

>> Read more trending news 

Her death was announced on Twitter by her daughter Nancy, who tweeted “My mother passed away peacefully tonight at the age of 101. She was a blessing and the light of my life. Godspeed, Momma. Thank you for everything.”

Nancy Barbato was born March 25, 1917, in Jersey City, New Jersey. She met Sinatra in the summer of 1934 and married her high school sweetheart five years later. The couple’s first two children were born in Jersey CIty: Nancy, who sang the 1966 hit “These Boots Are Made for Walkin’” in 1940, and Frank Jr. in 1944. The family moved to California in late 1944, and daughter Tina was born in Toluca Lake in 1948, the Hollywood Reporter said.

>> Photos: Notable deaths of 2018

Their marriage ended in 1951 after Sinatra’s affair with actress Ava Gardner, CNN reported. Sinatra married Gardner days after the divorce was final. 

After he divorced Gardner, Sinatra went on to marry Mia Farrow in 1966 and Barbara Marx in 1978. 

He died in 1998 at the age of 82.

Nancy Sinatra Sr. never remarried, The Hollywood Reporter said.

Johnson & Johnson ordered to pay $4.7 billion in lawsuit linking talcum powder to cancer 

A jury in St. Louis, Missouri, awarded 22 women and their families $4.7 billion in damages in a lawsuit that claimed asbestos in Johnson & Johnson talcum powder contributed to their ovarian cancer, according to news outlets.

>> Read more trending news 

After a six-week trial in St. Louis Circuit Court, a jury awarded the plaintiffs $550 million in compensatory damages and a $4.14 billion punitive award, The Associated Press reported.  

The company issued a statement after the verdict saying it would appeal. 

"Johnson & Johnson remains confident that its products do not contain asbestos and do not cause ovarian cancer and intends to pursue all available appellate remedies," spokeswoman Carol Goodrich said.

"Every verdict against Johnson & Johnson in this court that has gone through the appeals process has been reversed and the multiple errors present in this trial were worse than those in the prior trials which have been reversed," Goodrich said, according to NPR

The lead counsel for the plaintiffs, Mark Lanier, said Johnson & Johnson has used asbestos, a carcinogen, in their baby power and talc products for 40 years and covered it up, the AP reported.

Asbestos fibers and talc particles have been found in the ovarian tissue of many of the women in the suit, lawyers for the plaintiffs said.

"We hope this verdict will get the attention of the J&J board and that it will lead them to better inform the medical community and the public about the connection between asbestos, talc, and ovarian cancer," Lanier said. 

Lanier also urged Johnson & Johnson to pull its talc products from store shelves.

>> Trending: 17 complaints by women about Texas doctor sexual abuse went nowhere, until a man complained

More than 9,000 women have sued the company, contending Johnson & Johnson talcum power has contributed to their ovarian cancer, according to the AP. The company has repeatedly denied it.

High-heeled Crocs cause uproar on Twitter

It’s Friday the 13th, which can bring about bizarre events -- including Crocs’ launch of a high-heeled version of its divisive shoe.

The Cyprus Heel, which mixes the classic Crocs look with an open toe and chunky heel, is now for sale on Amazon.

>> Read more trending news 

Prices range from $80 to $225.

The shoes come in various colors including black, white and pink. There are also some available in leopard print.

The new shoes are getting mixed reviews from users on Twitter.

Crocs-inspired platforms have been bravely stepping onto the fashion runway since 2017.

Balenciaga’s version of the platformed Crocs sells for over $850 on its site.

‘See ya’ later, suckas!’ 5-year-old dying of rare cancer writes own obituary

“See ya’ later, suckas!”

Garrett Matthias’ final message to the world held the same gusto with which the 5-year-old lived his life, which ended July 6 following a 10-month-long battle with cancer.

The Van Meter, Iowa, boy wrote his own obituary, with help from his parents, Emilie and Ryan Matthias. Emilie Matthias told the Des Moines Register that she and her husband began writing down things Garrett would say as he talked about his wishes, particularly after learning in mid-June that his cancer was terminal. 

The Register reported that Garrett was diagnosed in September with alveolar fusion negative rhabdomyosarcoma, a rare cancer that began in the temporal bone of his skull, his cranial nerve and his inner ear. He underwent grueling treatments in the hope of beating the disease but, by the time he died, his treatment-resistant tumors had invaded the lining of his brain, causing painful headaches and backaches. 

>> Read more trending news

His parents decided he would get the funeral he wanted, complete with a bouncy house for every year that he lived. Garrett’s memorial, scheduled for Saturday, will also have snow cones, carnival treats and fireworks.

Garrett, nicknamed “Great Garrett Underpants” for his dislike of pants, will also have a Viking sendoff: A local archer will shoot a flaming arrow onto a small boat carrying his ashes across a neighbor’s pond. 

“I’d say things like, ‘When I die, I want to turn into a star,’” Matthias told the Register. “He’d say, ‘I want to be burned like in ‘Thor,’ and then I want to become a gorilla.”

The topic of death arose multiple times over the months Garrett fought cancer, as his parents attended funerals of other children who had succumbed to the disease. Matthias said he would see them come home from the services filled with sadness.

“He would say, ‘Why are funerals so sad? I’m going to have bouncy houses at mine,’” Matthias told the newspaper

When the Matthiases learned that Garrett’s condition would not improve, they came up with a questionnaire and began compiling his answers. That questionnaire, recreated below, turned into a portion of his obituary.

My name is: Garrett Michael Boofias.

My birthday is: I am 5 years old.

My address is: I am a Bulldog!

My favorite color is: Blue...and red and black and green.

My favorite superhero is: Batman…and Thor, Iron Man, the Hulk and Cyborg.

When I grow up: I'm going to be a professional boxer.

My favorite people are: Mommy, Daddy, my sister ‘Delcina’ (Delphina); the grandparents with the new house (Fredric and Cheryl Krueger); the grandparents with the camper (Daniel and Nita Matthias); my cousins, Grady, ‘that guy I took down that one time’ (Luke) and London Marie; my auntie Janette and stinky Uncle Andy (Andrew and Janette Krueger); those two guys, you know, my uncles (Kristopfer Krueger and James Taylor); Batman!!

The things I love the most: Playing with my sister, my blue bunny, thrash metal, Legos, my daycare friends, Batman and when they put me to sleep before they access my port. 

Things I hate: Pants, dirty stupid cancer, when they access my port, needles and the monkey nose that smells like cherry farts. I do like the mint monkey nose at Mayo Radiation, and that one guy that helped me build Legos (Randy).

When I die: I am going to be a gorilla and throw poo at Daddy!

Burned or buried: I want to be burned (like when Thor’s mommy died) and made into a tree so I can live in it when I’m a gorilla.

Big or small funeral: Funerals are sad. I want 5 bouncy houses (because I’m 5), Batman and snow cones.

The obituary noted that Garrett’s parents would honor his wishes -- and that a symbolic “Asgardian” burial ceremony and fireworks will be held just after sunset Saturday.

“A private burial of Garrett’s ashes will be held at a later time once his parents figure out how the hell to get his ashes made into a tree and locate a nature preserve, so his tree resides in a protected area,” the obituary read

Though the questionnaire portion of Garrett’s obituary was somewhat light-hearted, the Matthiases pulled no punches when it came to writing about what their son had been through. 

“The reality for Garrett and so many other children is pediatric cancer is an ugly, nasty beast that leaves a path of destruction,” the obituary read. “For Garrett and many others before him -- cancer kills. Those that are ‘lucky’ enough to survive endure long-term, debilitating side effects and the constant fear of relapse. 

“We will fight for a cure until no other kids are robbed of their childhood, no other siblings lose their best friends and no other parents have to bury their babies.” 

Read Garrett’s entire obituary here

Matthias told the newspaper that Garrett’s doctors were always frank about the realities of his treatment. 

It’s not those beautiful commercials with these kids with bald heads that are smiling and everyone is cured,” Matthias said. "They were upfront that chemo is poison; radiation, burns. The other way is to cut it out. You choose and make hard decisions about poisoning, burning and cutting your child. Those are things nobody should have to do. Those shouldn’t be the ways we treat our kids.

“Cancer is horrible. This kid is awesome, and he died of cancer.”

Matthias’ cousin created a GoFundMe page for the family to help pay Garrett’s medical and funeral costs. As of about noon Friday, it had raised $40,000 of the $75,000 goal. 

The family also encouraged people to make donations to several nonprofits that helped Garrett during his fight, including the Little Al Foundationthe Pink Tractor Foundation and the University of Iowa Dance Marathon

Here's how to get a $15 voucher if you didn't get a Build-A-Bear on Pay Your Age Day

Build-A-Bear is offering a $15 voucher for customers who didn’t make it through the line during Thursday’s Pay Your Age promotional event.

>> Read more trending news 

The event caused chaos at malls across the U.S. and Canada. Build-A-Bear shut down lines after an overwhelming response in which parents stood in long lines wrapped around malls to get a stuffed toy for the cost of their child’s age.

Related: Build-A-Bear chaos: Stores shut down after unprecedented lines at malls nationwide 

The deal was only available for members of Build-A-Bear’s Bonus Club.

Customers who were turned away in line, or missed the sale completely, can instead get a $15 voucher.

Here’s how to claim your voucher:

There is a limit of one coupon per Bonus Club account. It is valid for in-store purchases only. 

The voucher is good through Aug. 31, 2018.

Diver finds couple's lost wedding video in ocean 1 year later

It might be the best one-year anniversary gift a couple could get: memories of their wedding day.

A Gainesville, Florida, couple thought the pictures and videos of their big day were lost after their GoPro fell into the water during a paddle boarding mishap, WFLA reported.

 >> Read more trending news 

"It's murky water around that area, and deep. There was no way I was going to get back. I was just, ‘Aww, well, there it goes,’" bride Angel Wilson told WFLA.

One year later, diver Jeffrey Heim told WFLA that he found their GoPro lodged in between rocks in the ocean near Venice. The memory card remained intact. 

>>Watch: Clip of couple's lost wedding video

"I knew the pictures were pretty sentimental, and myself having lost three Go-pro's previously with lost footage on them, I knew they'd probably want it back," Heim said.

Heim tweeted the video, and after countless re-tweets, he found the couple and returned their wedding memories, WFLA reported.

"You've just got to give people the benefit of the doubt. Because there's a lot of good people out there, and this is just a good example of one," groom Tim Wilson told WFLA.

Results 1 - 20 of 47 next >

HoustonsEagle Instagram